The beautiful four horses embellished the façade of St. Mark’s Church from shortly after they were brought from Constantinople to Venice in the Middle Ages until the arrival of Napoleon who had the horses transferred to Paris in 1798. They were returned later during the reign of Francis II, Emperor of Austria. Read famous comments on the horses, results of scientific analyses and much more.

read more