On the facade of St Mark’s church there stand four horses in gilded bronze. They are modern reproductions of ancient sculptures looted by Venetians in Constantinople in 1204 and yet, they are more than just faithful replicas, in fact they are works of art of their own
The beautiful four horses embellished the façade of St. Mark’s Church from shortly after they were brought from Constantinople to Venice in the Middle Ages until the arrival of Napoleon who had the horses transferred to Paris in 1798. They were returned later during the reign of Francis II, Emperor of Austria. Read famous comments on the horses, results of scientific analyses and much more.